Friday, March 21

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

Andrew Peterson has long been one of my favorite songwriters, so I waited with eagerness when I heard that he was writing a book. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness arrived in bookstores this week, and I was fortunate enough to receive an advance copy. I approached it with some nervousness; I like AP's music so much--what if his first novel wasn't very good?

I needn't have worried. Book One of The Wingfeather Saga is a delightful read, full of humor and adventure. Janner Igiby, his younger brother Tink, and little sister Leeli live with their mother and ex-pirate grandfather in a little cottage in the town of Glipwood. Glipwood and the surrounding land of Skree are occupied and controlled by the Fangs of Dang, huge lizardlike creatures who make life miserable for the inhabitants. As danger and mysterious events build, Janner struggles with the responsibility of looking out for his siblings. It isn't an easy task when the evil Fangs seem out to get the Igiby children, though they don't understand why.

I love a book that begins with a map. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness has two maps, footnotes full of funny asides, and heaps of made-up names that will make this an excellent book for families to read aloud. There is also plenty of gross humor that boys will love; my favorite example is when the Igibys' mother makes maggotloaf. It's obvious that AP has read Tolkien, Lewis and Rowling, but this story stands on its own. Like his predecessors, Peterson has created a world that is clearly much bigger than this first story shows, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

The folks at WaterBrook Press have given me an extra copy of the book to give away. Just leave a (relevant) comment in the next week and I'll choose randomly. Haven't you always wanted a book with the subtitle: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree?

6 comments:

lydia said...

I want to read this too! Who knew he was an author and a musician?

Have you heard any of his music for children? I think he has at least two out, but I haven't heard anything about them.

emily jane said...

ooh me! ooh me!

-emily jane

Paula said...

We Las never turn down a good book!

Caroline said...

Lydia, I've only heard the couple of songs from Slugs, Bugs & Lullabies (the album he made with Randall Goodgame) that you can listen to here, but they sound good to me! I think that's the only children's album he's made.

Anonymous said...

Did you say free book?

Anonymous said...

I always knew the lead singer for Motley Crue would turn his considerable talents to literary pursuits....

Tolkein, Lewis, and Rowling, eh. Harold Bloom would cough up his pancreas. Guess I'll go stretch my legs....