Monday, July 24

Good music comes to Jackson

Matthew Perryman Jones played at Hal & Mal's Thursday night, and I was privileged to hear him and his excellent band. I was familiar with Matthew through his contributions to the Indelible Grace albums and his membership in the Square Peg Alliance, so I was excited to hear that he was coming to Jackson. Former Normals member Cason Cooley joined him on keyboard along with a (as yet unidentified) drummer and bass player. Matthew played songs from his new album Throwing Punches In The Dark, from which you can hear a few songs here. When the last notes of every song sounded, I thought, “Oh, no—keep going!” I guess it’s good to leave your audience wanting more, but it felt more like a appetizer of MPJ (is that just too Jonathan Taylor Thomas to abbreviate?) than a full meal. Derek Webb was right when he described Matthew’s voice as “mysterious and earnest.” Mysterious indeed, and it intrigued at least this listener. Does anyone else think he looks like "Jesus" in this photo? (He didn't in person.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were the bassist and drummer both big guys? Did the drummer have really blue eyes? If so, it was probably Chris Weigel [bass] and Paul Eckberg [drums]

Caroline said...

The bassist was tall and thin, with dark hair. The drummer was a pretty big guy with a beard. I didn't notice his eyes.

Sara P said...

OK, Caroline, why didn't you notice the eyes?! :) Just kidding. Sounds like some good music! This house gets SO quiet some nights, so I ordered a bunch of CDs and had them sent to my family so they could airmail them here. They just got here today, so I am contentedly listening to the Waifs right now. Ahhh...

Caroline said...

Ha! He looked a little old for me. Now Cason on the other hand... ;)

Sara, your brother was there too. And I know what you mean about music in silence. I remember listening with relief to a few Sufjan Stevens songs on a battery-powered cd player during the power outage after the hurricane. "Ahhh..." is right!

Anonymous said...

hey, that sounds like you had a good time. I'm sorry we missed it, but we are in the throes of special season and while I've got heaps of free time, Tuan doesn't. Liv Taylor is going to be in Baton Rouge in February!!! You must come with us.