Monday, April 11

Isn't she a peach?


It took a lot of phone tag to make it work, but I went to the opera with nine other people Saturday night to see The Mikado (for free!). This is one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s best-known works, and I enjoyed it immensely. It was strange to see the very British play in its Japanese setting with a 21st century Mississippi twist. It’s tradition to insert references that the current audience will understand, but it still felt odd to hear Pooh Bah referring to Jackson mayor Harvey Johnson and asking the audience, “What’s in your wallet?

"Three Little Maids from School" is one of my all-time favourite songs; I’ve grown up hearing it from the scene in Chariots of Fire where Harold Abrahams first sees Sybil. When my parents watched that movie Daddy would call “Caroline, three little maids!” and I’d come running in just for that part. So I wished that he could be there so I could lean over and say, “Didn’t I tell you? Isn’t she a peach?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caroline, this doesn't really have anyhing to do with your present post, but have you heard of the band Eisley? I was studying in Barnes and Noble last weekend and they played over the speakers a band that sounded eerily close to Six Pence None the Richer. When I asked what it was, they said it was Eisley. I fell in love with it and bought it, and (don't tell Wendell) I like it better than 6PNTR. If you get the chance, preview it at Borders.